Tanzania Tea Blenders (2002) Ltd, a vertically integrated tea and coffee blender/packer based in Tanzania with its key products being packaged tea and Africafe, intended to expand their current market. For them to meet the increased market share on expansion TTB needed to expand and modernize its facilities for the tea and coffee blending, packaging and processing, and construct a new warehouse to consolidate the packaging and warehousing processes. To ensure adequate supply of inputs in the expanded processing, TTB planned to strengthen two tea growers associations to increase green-leaf productivity and cut administration costs. The total expansion process was expected to cost $10 million. As such, our firm was sub-contracted by SBO Research Ltd to evaluate the existing business strategy and operations and advice on requisite efficiency and improvements; develop marketing and sales plan pertinent to the overall objective of TTB and prepare a detailed feasibility study and financial projections for the expansion giving out a bankable business plan. The assignment covered the following activities:
- Evaluated the business strategy and operations and advice on requisite efficiency improvements;
- Advised TTB on a feasible market expansion strategy by evaluating the key targeted markets within the region and export;
- Based on the market expansion strategy to develop marketing and sales pertinent to the overall objective;
- Serviced the expanded market propose the required infrastructure in form of improvements in the supply chain: processing, blending and packaging and distribution operational facilities;
- Served the expanded market evaluate the adequacy and feasibility of the proposed capital investment;
- Determine the required staffing investments to execute this strategy by undertaking a human resource review and give the necessary recommendations; and
- Prepared detailed feasibility study and financial projections for the expansion giving out a bankable business plan.