Diagnostic Review for the Kenya National Examination Council Finance Department and the Efficacy of the Financial Management System in use
The overall objective of this assignment was to undertake a diagnostic review of the financial management systems of KNEC and related systems and advise the council on how the finance division can be restructures and improvements necessary to enable efficient and effective financial reporting and management of the council funds.
The scope of work for this assignment included but not limited to the following:
- Review of the enabling Legislation (The National Examinations Council Act and Related Regulations that have implications on administrative functions of KNEC.
- Review the operations of the Finance Division, its staffing levels, competencies of key staff and closely related functions.
- Evaluate the Internal Control Service systems and environment and their impact on service delivery on user departments and customers.
- Evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the current computer-base accounting systems.
The results of this review were the following recommendations:
- Development of the financial and accounting policies and procedure manual
- Development and implementation of the chart of accounts
- Documentation of all other policies and procedures manuals related to improvement of internal controls systems and financial systems of the council
- Coordination of all systems being implemented in the KNEC to achieve efficiency and effectiveness in financial and other resources management
- Reorganization of the current finance division and separating it from the current Finance, Administration and Human Resources Management Department to make it a fully-fledged department on its own
- Development of job analysis for all positions identified in the New Finance Department and also the prerequisite job descriptions for each of the positions
- Assessment of the current staff in the finance department and allocating them duties as.- appropriate including recommendations of possible redundancies and f new recruitments.
- Development of job analysis and grading for all departments in the KNEC
- Development of the relevant human resources management policies and procedures
- Project management of the two systems being implemented of ERP and EPS