The assignment was commissioned by KTDA as part of rationalization of the operations of KETEPA. This was due to the fact that some of the private large scale tea producers who were also investors in KETEPA had gone into tea value adding. The other driver was that KTDA needed to have a vehicle to promote tea value adding as a basis of increasing the farmers’ returns.
The assignment involved us reviewing KTDA’s investment in KETEPA and how it could approach an export oriented tea value adding. The reaserch took our team of consultants to Europe and United Kingdom for appropriate assessment of the international tea market. Key activities undertaekn included:
- We reviewed the status of tea consumption in Kenya and other African countries.
- Carried a research on tea consumption in Kenya and other African countries
- Carried out a research on tea value adding facilities in the world
- Researched on who are the major players and what could be KTDA’s potential export market
- Made necessary recommendations.