Restructuring study for Kenya Tea Development Authority and other Tea Sector institutions was done as a prerequisite for commercialization of the tea industry and in particular the KTDA. Our firm was the lead in a consortium of two local and two international firms. In total we had a team of 25 local and international senior consultants and a team of about 10 assisting local consultants. The conclusion of the assignment came up with the following key recommendations:
- We recommended rationalization policies for the various players in the tea sector and the role of each of the institutions as the tea sector became liberalized.
- We recommended tea farming improvement methods amongst smallholder farmers and how the government would address their farms’ tea yield so as to increase returns to the farmers.
- We analyzed the tea marketing and recommended how it would be managed within a liberalized economy
- Recommended various options for the privatization/ commercialization of KTDA.
- Recommended a legal regime, which would be adoptive to the liberalized tea sector.
- Recommended changes on the institutional structure for KTDA and its corporate approach as a basis for its preparedness for change on commercialization.
- Recommended on the Management Information Structure in view of the anticipated changes on privatization